Life is too short to be anything but happy

Friday, March 14, 2014

Steps to Choosing a College


When you are a junior in high school, everyone asks the same questions over and over again:


Where do you want to go to college? 
and 
What do you want to go to college for?

These two haunting questions spin around in my head constantly

College:
 There are so many different choices when choosing a school. 
 -location
 -price
 -size
 -quality of majors offered
 -extracurricular activities
 -campus 
 -religious affiliation (if any)

With 4,495 different colleges to choose from, where do you start?


1. Talk with your parents about money. Who is going to pay for college and if you have any money saved. This can play a large factor is where you choose to go. 

2. Make a list of your must haves. 
        ex: I only want to go to college in Virginia. or
                 Tuition has to be less than $25,000 a year.

3. Write down colleges you might have interest in and search for more. List the colleges on a piece of paper or word doc with enough space to write about the location, price, size, and anything else you find important. 

4. Know the admission requirements. If lasts year average excepted GPA was a 3.7, and you have a 3.3, you might want to reconsider. 

5. Go on a college road trip, and visit the schools! Take tours or walk around the campus at your leisure. Talk to current students and meet with professors. The best way to get the feeling of the campus is to visit it. If you have potential options all over the US, this might not be possible. But, try to visit as many as you can.  

6. After your tours, you probably will be able to eliminate your list down to 5 schools. 

7. In the fall of your senior year, apply, and wait! This can be a long process, but don't forget to be patient. 

College is an important and not an easy choice. This will be the place you will live for 4 years or longer! 

Choose wisely!


                    
                           

2 comments:

  1. Hunter! First of all, I'm loving the new blog design.. cute and sophisticated! Secondly, this post could not have come at a better time. With our scheduling meeting just over 24 hours ago, I can literally feel the stress creeping up. Senior year is so scary and I feel like 90% of that fear comes from knowing how close college is! Personally, I've known where I want to go to college since I was about 6 or 7, but now, I'm opening my eyes a little more to see what's out there. This is all so stressful and terrifying, but we'll get through it roomie! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this very helpful in the college choosing process. I feel so old and feel like our time of actually making these huge decision is right around the corner. It scares me when people ask those two popular questions. I feel obligated to know my future plan when I know in reality I have time to think about it. My college path way not only depends on all the things you listed but the lacrosse team. My goal is to play college lacrosse. Great post and perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete