Life is too short to be anything but happy

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Comparison

When I found out I wasn't going anywhere for spring break, I was upset. This would be my second year in a row staying at home. When I was growing up, I got to go somewhere every year. Who wants to stay in cold Michigan, especially after the winter we had? Not me. My friends are all headed on cruises, or to Florida, or even out of this country. But, I am stuck here. I asked myself, how is this fair?

                  Why are we so quick to compare our lives to others, when we have everything 
                                                       we need right in front of us?

This is not easy for me to apply to life. I am constantly thinking, "well they have such a happy family with two loving parents" or "she gets whatever she wants at the swipe of her parents credit card." I need to just be content and thankful for what I do have. Comparing our lives to others, will never help us accomplish our goals. We will be stuck and we will never be satisfied. 

“Do your own work well, and then you will have something to be proud of. But don’t compare yourself with others.” Galatians 6:4 (CEV)

Now break is almost over and I just got back from a run and am sitting on my deck enjoying the 50 degree temps., the bird chirping, and a great view of the lake. (Yes, I am going to work in an hour to work a 9 hour shift, but why let that spoil this moment.) I have gotten to go to a women's Christian conference, gotten my haircut, done a TON of shopping, and made money from working. 


Now matter how much you compare yourselves to others, you will NEVER have everything. It is not an easy thing to learn, and I am not even close to grasping it. Don't let envy ruin your happiness. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. People spend so much time comparing their lives to others that they are never truly satisfied with their own life. I am happy you were able to realize this and make the most out of your spring break! What did you do at the Women's Christian Leadership conference, it sounds really interesting. Great blog as always!

    ReplyDelete