Life is too short to be anything but happy

Friday, February 14, 2014

Finally

    December 1st, 2012 was the day my mom finally decided to move out. When I say finally, I mean finally. The two people fighting, arguing, yelling that had gone on for years and years would finally be separated. When the words came out, "we are getting divorced" a sense of relief came over me. People can sorry all they want, but it has always been a finally to me. 

Cameron, Ty, Bryce, and I in Chicago last summer
    I have a cool dad, growing up he was my favorite parent. I was such a daddy's girl, and wanted to do everything with him. Go to soccer practice, go hunting together, and have him take me to all the places I needed to go. My mom was gone a lot while I was in middle school. She worked long hours and it wasn't uncommon for me to go a day or two without seeing her. This made me more and more attached to my dad. Although I was mature for my age, my opinion on my mom was based off of how my dad acted. If my dad was mean, I was mean. I thought he couldn't do wrong. Many of my memories from childhood are my mom laying on the floor crying, or my dad storming out of my house and leaving for hours, or calling my grandma balling in the middle of the night because my parents were fighting and I didn't know what to do. 


My mom and I
    In November of my freshman year, my mom and I, along with my best friend and her mom, went on a cruise to Mexico to celebrate my 15th birthday. We arrived back from the vacation on Thanksgiving day and my eyes were finally opened. I treated my mom so horribly. I knew something needed to change. It wasn't my mom's fault the whole time, it was how my dad had been treating her. I know my mom isn't perfect, but she was not the one I should have been blaming this whole time. And at that moment I switched "sides". My dad has resented me ever since then. He doesn't support me in much, and I rarely go over to his house. I hope one day this will change, but for now this is how it has to be. The fighting hasn't stopped, and probably never will. But I am so thankful for being in a better environment ever since my parents have separated

Divorce sucks. But for some people it is a finally.  


No comments:

Post a Comment